Welcome to the Privacy Notice of the Avis and Canada Express Car Rentals companies within the Avis Canada Express Car Rentals Group, Inc. and their subsidiaries and affiliates, including, without limitation Avis Rent A Car System, LLC, Canada Express Car Rentals Rent A Car System, Inc., Payless Car Rental, Inc. and Canada Express Car Rentals Truck Rental, LLC (we refer to these companies as “ABG,” “we,” “us,” or “our” in this Privacy Notice). This Privacy Notice does not apply to Zipcar. This Privacy Notice covers the personal information we collect, use and disclose through your use of our websites, mobile applications (“Apps”), products and services, either online or offline (collectively, “services”).
Many independent locations or franchises, which we refer to as “licensees,” use our names but are not owned or controlled by us. This Privacy Notice does not apply to the processing of your personal information by these independent licensees. Click here to learn more about licensees.
Please click on the following sections to learn more about our Privacy Notice. You can tell when this Privacy Notice was last updated by looking at the link and at the date at the top of the Privacy Notice. If we make changes to this Privacy Notice, we will post the changes here. If we make a change that significantly affects your rights, we will notify you by way of a prominent posting on our websites and in our Apps, prior to the change becoming effective. If you have an account with us, we may also notify you about material changes to this Privacy Notice by e-mail (sent to the e-mail address provided in your account), through our Apps, or as otherwise required or permitted by law. Any changes to this Privacy Notice will become effective upon posting of the revised Privacy Notice. Use of our websites, Apps, products and services following the posting of a new Privacy Notice constitutes your acceptance of the revised Privacy Notice then in effect. As such, we encourage you to review this site from time to time for the latest information on our privacy practices.
European Union Residents: If you reside in the European Union, please use the appropriate website for your location, which can be found here, rather than using this website.
BY USING ANY OF OUR WEBSITES, APPS, PRODUCTS OR SERVICES, YOU UNDERSTAND AND ACKNOWLEDGE THAT WE WILL COLLECT AND USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION AS DESCRIBED IN THIS PRIVACY NOTICE. If you have questions, comments, or suggestions, you can always contact us using any of the ways described in the CONTACT US section.
1. THE TYPES OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT, AND HOW WE COLLECT THEM
We collect information from you, directly and through third parties, in accordance with this Privacy Notice any time you contact us, interact with us, or use our website, App, products or services. If you do not provide the information we request, we may not be able to provide our products or services to you.
- Some of the information we collect can personally identify you, including, for example, your name and contact information, birthdate, government identification, payment information, membership ID, program ID, whether you are a part of a corporate or rewards program, payment arrangements, insurance arrangements, and information related to your rentals or use of products or services we provide or enable. For example, when you make a reservation, or join one of our programs, we collect your personal information such as: your name and contact information; birthdate; driver license and other appropriate government identification; payment information, including credit or debit card information (we collect security codes when you make a payment, but we do not keep them); information to process your discounts, such as coupons, discount codes, and membership numbers or codes; and other information that may be necessary to rent you a vehicle, provide you with services or verify your identity. If you participate in an insurance program through us or are involved in an accident or property damage, we may collect additional information about your insurance provider and/or coverage.
- We may record or monitor any call you make to us for quality control, to enforce our rights, or for training or similar purposes. We may collect photos and videos in some instances, such as when you choose to share them with us on social media or when we receive a notice of a traffic violation that includes a picture or video. Our rental locations may also be equipped with cameras and/or video security surveillance systems.
- We also collect personal information about you from third parties, including information from third party travel booking channels; service providers; licensees; airlines, hotels, membership clubs, payment card companies, advertisers and other partners; from your employer; from your social media services consistent with your information sharing settings on such services; and from other third-party sources that are lawfully entitled to share your information with us.
- We may collect information about relevant health conditions when necessary to provide adaptive driving devices.
Connected Car Data
- Some of our rental vehicles are connected cars. A connected car is a vehicle equipped with features, telematics systems, on-board devices, or built-in services and technologies that are capable of collecting data about the vehicle and its use, including, for example, the vehicle’s condition, damage and accident events and records, performance, operation and diagnostic data, information on mileage, acceleration, braking, speed, fuel consumption, fuel level, tire pressure, odometer, location and direction, and other vehicle-related information (collectively, “Connected Car Data” or “Vehicle Data”). Typically, this information is associated with the vehicle only and maintained as non-personal information, as described in the Non-Personal Information section below. If we link this information to you, we will treat it as personal information.
- Use of features and built-in services and technologies in connected cars are subject to the terms and conditions posted by the vehicle manufacturer and/or the technology provider, which may include system and service limitations, warranty exclusions, limitations of liability, wireless service provider terms, and user responsibilities. Some or all of these features are turned on at all times, even when other services or other media in the vehicle are turned off. If you are unsure whether your rental vehicle is a connected car, please speak to a member of our team at the rental location or contact the Rental Station Manager. Details on the connected car features in our rental vehicles are also set out in the “Vehicle Details” section of the Rental Agreement. We cannot guarantee that a vehicle without connected car features will be available at your time of rental.
- Depending on the technology used in your rental vehicle, vehicle manufacturers and built-in services such as ‘Apple CarPlay’ or ‘OnStar’ may also collect Connected Car Data or other personal information from the vehicle pursuant to their privacy policies. For more information about this third party information collection, please refer to the Third Party Collection section below.
- We may collect information about your location from our websites, your mobile devices, and your visits to our locations. You may opt out of our collection of information about your location from mobile devices at any time by turning off transmission of geolocation data and push notifications on your mobile device.
- We may also at times connect certain location-related Connected Car Data to you.
- We may also collect or transform information so that it is maintained in a form that is not linked to a particular individual, such as vehicle information that is not connected to a passenger or other aggregated, de-identified or anonymized information (“non-personal information”). This Privacy Notice does not apply to non-personal information, which we collect, use and disclose for a variety of purposes. However, any non-personal information that is linked to or combined with personal information will be treated as personal information subject to this Privacy Notice.
- Some of our mobile applications require you to log in to access your account or interact with your connected car. We may provide you the ability to log in or authenticate yourself using facial, fingerprint or other biometric recognition technology available through your mobile device. If you choose to utilize these login features, information about your facial geometry, your fingerprint or other biometric information will be collected by your mobile device for authentication purposes. We do not store or have access to this biometric information. Instead, your mobile device will perform the biometric authentication process and only let us know whether the authentication was successful. If the authentication was successful, you will be able to access the applicable mobile application or feature without separately providing your credentials.
2. HOW INFORMATION IS USED
We use your personal information to:
· provide you with our websites, Apps, products and services;
· provide you with additional services or functionalities (for example, to provide remote lock/unlock, to remote disable engine/cancel ignition, and to automatically receive the vehicle location, odometer, fuel level and other information in connection with your rental);
· administer your rental, manage your rental records and to calculate your fees (for example, to automatically record the start of your rental, any exchange or upgrades, and the fuel or mileage usage and charges);
· diagnose problems, analyze trends, and assess our performances;
· provide roadside assistance;
· provide you with discounts;
· improve our operations and services;
· better understand our customers’ preferences;
· better understand how our vehicles are being used;
· tailor our services, promotions and offers to our customers;
· research and develop new products and services;
· maintain our fleet;
· recover lost, stolen or towed rental vehicles;
· interact with you in person, through our services or on third-party platforms (such as social media sites);
· provide you with, and improve, relevant marketing or offers from us and our partners, and to inform our advertising and marketing campaigns;
· run our contests, sweepstakes or promotions;
· enable third-party vehicle applications and services;
· improve road safety and reduce traffic;
· respond to legally binding requests from law enforcement, regulatory authorities or other third parties;
· ensure the security of our or another’s premises, property or other assets;
· defend, protect or enforce our rights or applicable terms of service;
· to prevent fraud or the recurrence of fraud;
· assist in the event of an emergency; and
· comply with applicable law.
You can set your browser or device to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, some features or services may not function properly without cookies. Some browsers support a “Do Not Track” feature, which is intended to be a signal to websites that you do not wish to be tracked across different websites you visit. Our websites do not currently change the way they operate based upon detection of a Do Not Track or similar signal. As the internet and other e-commerce channels continue to develop, we may deploy and utilize different types of technologies to collect data regarding your visit or usage.
We use information about your location (including, at times, by linking personal information with location information of the rental vehicle you are using) primarily to locate our nearest rental location, send you location-based notifications (i.e., nearby special offers), arrival and return notifications, vehicle location, and upgrade availabilities. We also use information about your location for the same purposes we use your personal information, including to provide you with, and improve, relevant marketing or offers from us and our partners.
We may retain your information for as long as you have an account with Avis, Canada Express Car Rentals, Payless, or Canada Express Car Rentals Truck Rental, as needed to provide you our services, or as otherwise necessary for the processing purpose(s) for which the information was originally collected and any other legitimate business purpose, including, for legal, archival, accounting, and/or audit purposes. If you close your account or request we provide you our services, we may retain your information because we have a legal, auditing or account obligations or it is in our archive system and cannot be separated from other information.
Your Opt-Out Choices
· If you would like to opt-out of receiving marketing e-mails: Click the “unsubscribe” at the bottom of an e-mail we sent you, or log into your account and update your profile, or contact any customer service representative.
· If you would like to opt-out of receiving marketing text messages: For Avis, text the word “STOP” to 48400. For Canada Express Car Rentals, text the word “STOP” to 36300.
· You can stop sharing the location information of your mobile device through the applicable ABG App by turning off location services or by uninstalling the App. If you would like to uninstall the ABG app: Use the standard uninstall processes as may be available as part of your mobile device or via the application marketplace or network from which you downloaded the app.
· You may also be able to limit mobile interest-based advertising through the settings on your mobile device by selecting “limit ad tracking” (iOS) or “opt-out of interest based ads” (Android). You may also be able to opt-out of some – but not all – interest-based ads served by mobile ad networks by visiting http://youradchoices.com/appchoices and downloading the mobile AppChoices app. You may be able to limit the use of location data for advertising purposes by adjusting your location services settings on your mobile device.
4. HOW YOUR INFORMATION IS PROTECTED
The security of personal information is important to us. We take reasonable steps designed to protect personal information from unauthorized use, access, disclosure, alteration, destruction or loss. You are responsible for keeping your account safe. Do not share your passcode, membership and pin numbers with anyone. Please be mindful that hackers and scammers may impersonate us or our website. For more information about phishing, please visit https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0003-phishing. If you suspect an unauthorized use or security breach of your information, you must notify our customer service as soon as possible! We are not responsible or liable for any loss or damage if your account passcode, membership numbers and pin numbers are stolen or used inappropriately.
5. CHILDREN’S PRIVACY
Our websites, Apps, products, and services are not for children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children. If you think we have received personal information from children under the age of 13, please contact us immediately.
6. THIRD PARTY COLLECTION
Many ABG branded locations or franchises are independently owned and operated.
7. GEOGRAPHIC LOCATIONS
We generally store your personal information in the United States. As a part of our normal business operation, we may at times need to transfer some of your personal information outside of the United States. If we do so, we will take reasonable steps designed to ensure your information is treated and protected no less securely than it is in the United States. This Privacy Notice is intended to be governed by the laws of the State of New Jersey and meet the laws and requirements of the United States, which may not necessarily be consistent with the laws and regulations of the country where you live. If you are a resident of the European Union, please use the appropriate website for your location, which can be found here rather than using this website.
8. INDEPENDENT LOCATIONS
Please note, many Avis, Canada Express Car Rentals, Payless and Canada Express Car Rentals Truck locations are owned and operated by an independent licensee and not owned or controlled by ABG or any ABG affiliate or subsidiary. This Privacy Notice only applies to our processing of your personal information and does not apply to the processing of your personal information by an independent licensee. Each of these independent licensees is responsible for its own collection and processing of personal information and may collect, use or disclose personal information differently than described in this Privacy Notice.
In particular, the licensee is responsible for its own collection and processing of payments and may engage in its own e-mail campaigns and other forms of marketing to you. Because we do not control the independent licensee’s use of personal information and we are not responsible for the independent licensee’s compliance with applicable privacy laws, you should direct any questions about a licensee’s privacy practices to the specific licensee.